You are here: Home »  Insurance »  Landlord Insurance

Compare Landlord Insurance

Compare landlord insurance quotes in minutes to get the right cover for your properties. Protect against accidental damage, loss of rent and more at

What is landlord insurance?

Landlord insurance protects you from financial losses incurred through your day-to-day rental activities. It differs from standard home insurance in that it’s more specific, with covers designed solely to protect your rental property and tenants, against your unique risks.

Getting started with our landlord insurance comparison tool

How to get the right landlord insurance

This comparison can help you find the right insurance policy for your buy to let property, but start by deciding what cover you need.

Get the right cover

You can use this comparison to find a policy that covers what you need, including:

Buildings cover: This is the rebuild cost of your property, not the market value or what you paid for it. Use this rebuild calculator to work this out.

Contents cover: Work out the replacement cost of your contents in the property. If your property is unfurnished, you may only need a small level of cover.

Accidental damage: This covers the cost of damage to your property or its contents caused accidentally by your tenants. Some insurers may charge you extra to add this.

Landlord liability: Most good policies should include liability cover as standard. This will cover the landlord should an injury or death occur to somebody in his or her property. In most cases it can also protect against litigious tenants, who attempt to sue due to an accident occurring in the property. As all policies offer different levels of cover, remember to read all documentation to see how liability insurance applies to your individual requirements.

Rent guarantee: This covers your rental income if your tenants fail to pay. Some landlord policies automatically include this, but you may need separate cover.

Do I need landlord insurance?

Although landlord insurance isn’t a legal requirement it does provide useful cover, such as buildings insurance and protection against loss of rent. Many mortgage lenders make it a requirement of taking out a buy-to-let mortgage.

Keep up to date

Landlords need insurance designed for landlords. If you let a property but just take out standard insurance in your own name, there’s every chance the insurance company will refuse to pay any claim and you will be out of pocket.

You should also keep the insurer up to date with any changes, including a change of tenants and any ‘void’ periods when the property is empty. This is crucial as insurers will not normally provide cover if a property lies empty for more than 30 days at any one time, unless by notified arrangement.

Specialist cover for landlords

Many firms offer specialist landlord insurance, including household name insurance providers. The extent of the cover and the premiums vary, so it’s important to compare policies carefully to make sure you get a good deal, bearing in mind that the cheapest is not always the best.

A decent policy will insure the building, your liability and loss of rent. You can also typically add contents cover, home emergency, legal expenses and rent guarantee insurance.

What does landlord insurance cover?

Landlord insurance can cover for damage to your building or its contents. Unlike conventional home insurance, it also covers for rental activities. It can protect you should a tenant or visitor be injured whilst at your property, and house tenants if your place becomes unsuitable to live in.

A standard landlord insurance policy will usually cover against perils such as:

  • fire and lightning
  • flood, storm and other
  • weather damage
  • escape of water (such as leaks caused by frozen and burst pipes)
  • loss of metered water/oil
  • earthquakes
  • explosions
  • subsidence
  • trace & access (e.g. any damage done to locate a leak, such as removing wall boards or floor boards to access plumbing)
  • theft
  • malicious damage
  • vandalism

Do I have to get landlord insurance?

You do not legally have to, but your mortgage lender may need you to have cover. It is also important if you rely on your rent to pay your mortgage.

Can I cover more than one property under the same policy?

Yes, most landlord insurers offer discounts for portfolio cover. Speak to an insurance broker to find the right portfolio policy for you.

Am I covered for damage caused by my tenants?

Most insurers can provide cover for malicious damage, but you may have to pay more to include this.

Should I insure my tenants’ contents?

No, your tenants are responsible for insuring their own contents. However, you should insure your own contents if your property is furnished.

Is loss of rent covered?

It is included if you cannot rent your property because it has been damaged, but you may have to buy cover separately for tenants withholding rent.

Who do we include in this comparison?

We include unsecured loans you can get in the UK from our panel. Like other comparison sites, we make money when you click through to a product or service, or go on to purchase it after visiting our site. If you use one of our broker services, we make commission after you buy a product, but it doesn’t cost you anything extra. Our comparisons are free for you to use and you get the same or a better deal than going direct.



car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance