You are here: Home »  Home Insurance »  Student Home Insurance

Compare student home insurance

Protect the belongings you take to your new student home. Compare a range of student home insurance products for protection against problems such as theft or floods. Compare insurance policies that could protect the items you care about most.

What is student home insurance?

It is a policy designed for students living away from home in rented accommodation that can protect personal belongings against loss, theft or damage.

Student home insurance only covers your contents, and does not including buildings insurance. This is because your landlord is responsible for insuring the building you are renting against damage.

Our student home insurance comparison tool

How to get the right student contents insurance

To get the best contents policy as a student, think about:

  • What items you want to protect, and how much they are worth
  • What extra cover would be useful, like mobile phone insurance
  • What is excluded from the policy

Check to see if your family’s home insurance can cover you while you are at university, but be aware that it may not offer the best cover.

If it does not, this comparison shows every UK insurance company that offers student contents insurance.

Do you need it?

You should consider getting a student contents insurance policy if you:

  • Live in university halls of residence
  • Live in rented accommodation with other students

If you share a property each student may need their own separate policy, but some insurers will cover all occupants together.

If you live at home while studying you should be covered by your parents’ home insurance policy.

Check your family’s home insurance policy because some can cover your belongings while you are at university, even if you do not live at home.

Make sure the policy offers enough cover. If it does not, look at specialist student policies instead because they can give you more extensive protection.

What should student insurance cover?

There are two types of home insurance: buildings and contents insurance. If you rent a room in a student house or halls, you will only need contents insurance; whoever you rent from should have buildings insurance, which will cover the building itself.

As with any policy, contents insurance comes with exclusions, restrictions and conditions. Some products will also cover accidental damage, which could be invaluable if you have any breakages. But it’s worth double-checking that this is definitely included in the policy, rather than an add-on that you’ll need to pay extra for.

Other elements to check include:

– Whether you need to have a particular type of lock on your room

– Whether the policy includes possessions cover outside the home. If it doesn’t, this additional cover could be available as an optional add-on when you take out your contents policy (but you may need to pay extra)

– Whether walk-in theft is covered. This would allow you to claim for a burglary even if there’s no sign of forced entry, for example, if you live in student halls and someone lets in a burglar during a party.

You should check the policy cover to make sure you have the right cover to meet your needs, such as protection for your computer, data or any favourite gadgets that you can’t live without. You may also want to make sure your belongings are covered during the holidays, as well as in term time.

Finally, you should also look into how long it will take to get stolen or damaged items replaced. As a student, you can’t afford to wait months for a new laptop when your final dissertation is due.

How can I save money on student contents insurance?

If you’re worried about the price of student insurance, our top tips could help you to lower the cost.

Value your items accurately Be careful not to underinsure your contents, but equally don’t go over the top with your valuations. Do a quick sum and work out what cover you really need.

Increase your excess The excess is the amount of money that you need to pay in the event of a claim before the insurance provider steps in. So, if you make a claim for £500 and you have a £200 excess, the insurance provider will pay out the balance of £300. There are usually two types of excess – compulsory and voluntary. Increasing the amount of voluntary excess you’re willing to pay could reduce your premium, although you’ll get less back when you make a claim. What’s important is that you find a level of excess you’re comfortable paying.

Pay upfront Although it might be tempting to spread the cost of your insurance by paying monthly, it could cost you more to do so as you may be charged interest on the instalments. Paying for your insurance in one go – if you can afford it – is likely to keep the cost down.

Security features Some alarms, and approved door or window locks, could mean you pay less for your insurance. If you have any of these, make sure you include them when getting a quote.

Can I get student contents insurance?

If you are in full time education at a university or college in the UK and have no criminal convictions you can get a student policy.

Do I need student insurance if I still live at home

No, student policies are for people living in halls of residence or rented accommodation while studying.

Will I need buildings insurance as a student?

Not if you live in shared accommodation or halls of residence, because it is the responsibility of your landlord or university to cover this.

Can student contents insurance cover my laptop?

Some policies include it as standard, or you may have to add gadget cover to protect it.

Who do we include in this comparison?

We include unsecured loans you can get in the UK from our panel. Like other comparison sites, we make money when you click through to a product or service, or go on to purchase it after visiting our site. If you use one of our broker services, we make commission after you buy a product, but it doesn’t cost you anything extra. Our comparisons are free for you to use and you get the same or a better deal than going direct.



car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance, car insurance